Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Debate


Several years ago I was attending a Bible study at the home of my Sunday School teacher at the time. We were going thru the book of Colossians, which is one of my favorite books in the Bible. After several weeks, a man who attended our Sunday School class sporadically showed up this one Thursday night. He was one of those people who have a lot of biblical knowledge, but I wonder if they’ve ever really trusted the Lord as their Savior.

On this particular evening, towards the end of the study, this man proceeds to try to bait our teacher into a debate about, of all things, predestination. As you know, no matter which side you choose, one can come up with good arguments. Also, our teacher is an attorney by trade and a litigator at that. I was amazed as Ed shut him down by saying this to him, “I would love to debate that with you on another occasion, but tonight’s not the time.” He explained, “You see, when I get to heaven, God’s not going to tell me, ‘You know, Ed, I was very impressed with your debate on predestination back in October of 2001, you came up with some very good points you almost had Me convinced.”

“No,” Ed continued, “I believe that God is going to ask me two questions. One is ‘Why should I allow you into Heaven?’ My answer will be, ‘I believe that Jesus Christ is your Son and He died on a cross for my sins. I accepted Him as my personal Savior.’ Then God will ask me, “What did you do with my Son?” That second question is the one we need to be ready to answer.

My Sunday School teacher understands his place. The Apostle Paul also understood his place. It is quite evident in this passage: When I first came to you, dear brothers and sisters, I didn’t use lofty words and impressive wisdom to tell you God’s secret plan. For I decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Jesus Christ, the one who was crucified. I came to you in weakness—timid and trembling. And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit. I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God. (1 Corinthians 2:1-5, NLT)

It is not our job to persuade lost people to Christ, for that is the role of the Holy Spirit. Our job is to tell others of what our lives are now that we have Christ living in us. Of all people, Paul could have probably put on a great argument to follow Christ in his day. He was well educated and trained. Just like my Sunday School Teacher, he has been trained to argue with a glass of water and win! Part of me would have loved to see that great debate and see Ed in action, but he knew in the long run, this debate would really not do anything to advance the Kingdom.

Are you spending (or wasting) time on trivial matters that really don’t advance the name of Jesus? I know I used to see that happening all the time at Criswell College. They would spend time debating stuff like predestination, pre-millennium, or post-millennium, etc. Young men trying to impress and show off to each other how knowledgeable they are. This is what the Pharisees did back then.

My prayer for you is that you will spend time lifting up the name of the Lord and not trying to impress man. Grace and peace be with you.

No comments: