Monday, April 6, 2009

Sunday Is Coming!

This week is called several things: Pre-Easter, Resurrection Week, Holy Week, and Passion Week. It is a very significant week in the life of the Christ followers. The secular world thinks Christmas is more important, but it shouldn’t be. This week is what we, as Christians, base our whole belief system on. In sporting terms, this is our Super Bowl!

We look at Friday as a solemn day, as it should be, but Sunday is Coming! Christians have the hope, because He has resurrected. This is why when we display a cross; Jesus is not on that cross. We celebrate the fact that He is Risen! I think it’s great that we use the word “is” and not “has” in the phraseology, because He continues to be risen.

I remember watching The Passion of the Christ at the theaters a few years back. All I heard was how the scouring was so realistic. We tend to concentrate on the scourging, the beating, and the nailing on the cross Jesus endured. This physical torture is something we, as humans, can semi-comprehend. But to Jesus, there was a much more painful torture. It was when God turned His back on Jesus. Holy God could not look at Jesus as He was covered with the sins of the world. The Bible says that Jesus’ anguish was so much that while in the garden of Gethsemane, His sweat poured out blood. We tell people, “It’s because Jesus was wrestling with being hung on the cross.” I believe it was because for the first time, ever, God the Father, God the Christ, and God the Spirit were not going to be One. I want you to chew on that for a while. We need to stop thinking on things physical and start thinking on the things spiritual, which is eternal.

I would like you to drink in the person of Jesus Christ and His atonement for our sins this week. One of my favorite songs is “In Christ Alone”. There is a portion that reflects The Crucifixion and Resurrection.

In Christ alone, Who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless Babe;
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save;
“Til on that cross, as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied,
For ev’ry sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain;
Then bursting forth in glorious day,
Up from the grave He rose again;
And as He stands in victory,
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine,
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

With Christ I stand in victory, not because of anything I have done, but because I have chosen to follow Him with my life. Let us celebrate God the Father who loves us so much as to send His Son. Let us thank God the Christ for willingly go to the cross and conquer death. Let us rejoice in God the Holy Spirit for drawing us to Him.

My prayer for you is for you to experience an Easter week like no other. He Is Risen! Blessings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, well said my brother.