Monday, April 13, 2009

The Centurion


Every Easter I am reminded of a story that happened to me in 2000. I had been attending First Baptist Dallas for about seven or eight weeks and had made the decision to join FBD. I just didn’t want to do it on Easter Sunday. I just thought it was kind of cheesy. A lot of things had been happening to me in those previous weeks. Let’s just say, I was going thru some emotional healing. I had come to the part in the healing process I felt the need to start serving again. I felt if I put my thoughts on others, it would take away the emphasis from my own pain. I spoke with God telling Him I was ready to do anything He wanted me to do, and I would do without question. (Can I tell you to heed this warning? Do not tell God this unless you are really ready to do it! ‘Cuz God will take you up on it.)

So I called one of the ministers who had been very instrumental in me coming to First. When I called Crawford, he informed the Singles were going to have a sunrise service and they needed people to set up chairs on Sunday morning. He wanted to know if I could be there by 6am. I told him gladly be there. I showed up right at 6am ready to serve. They had us unload chairs, wipe them down, and set them up. Easy enough.

I had a gentleman, Clay, whom I had befriended from the first week I attended FBD approached me. He asked me if I had any plans for the rest of the morning. I told him no and whatever he needed, I would do. I should’ve known something was up, because his face lit up and he had huge smile on his face. He told me I would be perfect for this “special assignment”. He instructed me to go to the security office which was located in the Sunshine Bldg. I went without hesitation.

When I got there, Brian Hayes was there waiting for some poor unknowing victim. He then handed me a costume. He told me to put it on. It was of a Roman soldier. I went into this room to inspect my wardrobe and put it on. It came with a tan t-shirt, a pull-over breast plate, a pair of what looked like Capri pants, some kind of pleated skirt, sandals, a long pole with a spade at the end to look like a spear, and last but not least, a helmet with a red brush on top. It was more like something Marvin the Martian would wear.

I was instructed of my duties. I was to stand guard in front of one of the main entrances to the church during all the services. As each service was starting, people would walk by laugh at my get up, and then ask if they could take a picture of me with their kids. Of course I accomadated them. As the morning went by, very slowly, I may add, I was reminded of my promise to God.

I looked up to the sky and said this to Him, “You know, God, when I said I would do anything? This wasn’t exactly what I had in mind. But Lord, I am here and I will be till the end.”

I can laugh now about it, because it reminds me that God has a sense of humor and He tested me to see if I was going to go thru with my promise. I know there are pictures floating around with me in that outfit. If you ever get a hold of one, I’d love to see it. It has fond memories.

My prayer for you is that you will follow Him without question or hesitation, because He wants your obedience. Blessings!




No comments: