Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Wreck


“Your son has been in an accident.”
Those were the words I heard one evening as I sat on my couch waiting for him to return home form Wednesday night youth group. The rest of the story is that he had been
T-boned by a city bus, the car was totaled but fortunately he suffered only a bump on the head.

I knew I loved my son (both of them actually) but it manifested itself in a whole new way in the days that followed the collision. I was a wreck - “out of alignment” emotionally for the next five or six days. I’ve never felt that way before.

I knew he was all right but maybe I wasn’t. Maybe I needed that collision to jar me back to the place of balance. A place where spending time engaged with my family is more important than the other “stuff” in our lives.

There is a broader application also. It is to think how the Heavenly Father must feel about His children. Although God will never receive the call saying His child has been in an accident (you can’t surprise God), our collisions that send us reeling still trouble his heart. What a comfort – knowing that we have a Father emotionally involved and compassionate who desires health, safety and prosperity for us.

So when you receive “the call”, and you will, know there is a Father who has been troubled much deeper about His Son and a fraternity of other dads who stand with you. And, if you’re willing, they will help you pick up the pieces and find equilibrium once again.
(This posting was written by Scott Ward, father to two teenage sons. Thanks, Scott.)
Blessings!

No comments: