Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What's In a Name?



If you know anything about me, you will know my favorite church is The Brooklyn Tabernacle in New York. I have had the pleasure to worship, work and pray with them on several occasions. One of the things I have done with them is to go out on the streets of NYC and pass out flyers. On one side of the flyer it promotes the Sunday evening service as this is their seeker service. On the backside of the flyer is the plan of salvation. Before they hit the streets, they have an intense time of praise, worship, and prayer.

On one particular Saturday, in July 2002, our group was joining them on their street witnessing venture. We were given strict instructions to just pass out flyers and try not to engage everyone, but to only speak to those who wanted more info. We broke up into groups. In one of those groups was one of my mentors. He is a wise, older, white-haired, godly man who has the respect many at my church. His group was led by a middle aged Puerto Rican lady who is totally sold out for the Lord. After they had piled into her vehicle, she gave them the instructions again, but this time emphasized something very important to her. She told them, “Do Not Do Anything That Will Bring Shame To The Name Of Jesus Christ!” It was so important to her that she said it a couple of times again. Notice she did not mention Brooklyn Tab at all, but the name of Jesus Christ. In a sense she was telling them, “Remember whose you are.” Today we get so caught up on where we attend church that we become “church worshippers” and not Jesus Christ worshippers!

Last week in Bible study, I came across this passage in Ephesians: "As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." (Eph. 4:1-2)

I have been chewing on those verses, especially the part that says “to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.” I don’t know about you, but that hits me between the eyes. This is exactly what I want my life to be all about. I want to live a life worthy of Jesus Christ!

Can you imagine if all the men in our churches were to strive to live up to that measure, how today would look radically different? Men would be leading with confidence and authority. Husbands would be loving and cherishing their wives. Fathers would be Dads. The divorce rate would cease to exist in the church, etc.

You and I can’t change the world overnight, but you and I can strive to “live a life worthy of the calling”. From there, you get your friends to strive; and they get their friends. Before we know it, we have changed a complete generation.

I’m praying for you today. Blessings!

No comments: