Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Being Transparent

I grew up in a family that has lots of secrets. I remember my mom telling me on several occasions, “This is a family secret. We don’t tell anyone these things.” And so we weren’t allowed to even speak to other family members about things they already knew. How crazy is that?

As I grew up, I believed in holding secrets. Most men are like this. We have a bunch of secrets in our lives and as we get older, we keep adding to them. I have to tell you that this way of thinking is completely wrong! The Bible says in James 5:16- “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”

This is a powerful message. The fact of the matter is most of us would love to tell another person all the junk that we’ve been keeping in all these years. But, how do you do this? You have to first start with prayer the Lord will bring to you a man that is trustworthy and not judgmental; one you feel safe talking to. Remember, you just don’t go out and spill your guts out to the first man you see.

I struggled with this at first, but once I got a bunch of junk off my chest, I felt so much better and it got easier and easier. I now live a transparent life. I am tired of hiding all of my faults and struggles. How about you?

I want to give you another huge insight- We’re all jacked up! This is the result of living in a fallen world, but Satan doesn’t want you to know it. He doesn’t want you to know that the guy right next to you in church is struggling with the same issues you are and possibly even worse. And he’s done a pretty good job of it.

My prayer for you is that you will find a guy or two you can open up to and begin to live a more transparent life. I guarantee you will be a better man for it.

Blessings on you today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Post, Hope you and your Woman have a blessed Thanksgiving holiday. Still on the mend