Thursday, January 7, 2010

For The Love of God



I've been reading one of John Piper's books, "God is the Gospel". I must confess to you that his books are hard for me to read. First of all, I'm not that smart and usually am not that deep of a thinker. I have to read his stuff in small increments and read it several times for it to really sink in.

That being said, I would like for you to read the following excerpt from the introduction that I have been chewing on for a few days. Read it and re-read it please and let it sink in.

"The gospel of Jesus Christ reveals what splendor is. Paul calls it the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God (2 cor. 4:4). Two verses later he calls it the glory of God in the face Jesus Christ.

When I say that God is the Gospel I mean that the highest, best, final, decisive good of the gospel, without which no other gifts would be good, is the glory of God in the face of Christ revealed for our everlasting enjoyment. The saving love of God is God's commitment to do everything necessary to enthrall us with what is deeply and durably satisfying, namely himself. Since we are sinners and have no right and desire to be enthralled in God, therefore God's love enacted a plan of redemption to provide that right and that desire. The supreme demonstration of God's love was the sending of his Son to die for our sins and to rise again so that sinners might have the right to approach God and have the pleasure of his presence forever.

In order for the Christian gospel to be good news it must provide an all-satisfying and eternal gift that undeserving sinners can receive and enjoy. For that to be true, the gift must be three things. First, the gift must be purchased by the blood and righteousness of Jesus Christ, the son of God. Our sins must be covered, and the wrath of God against us must be removed, and Christ's righteousness must be imputed to us. Second, the gift must be free and not earned. There would be no good news if we had to merit the gift of the gospel. Third, the gift must be God himself, above all other gifts.

The gospel is the good news of our final and full enjoyment of the glory of God in the face of Christ. That this enjoyment had to be purchased for sinners at the cost of Christ's life makes his glory shine all the more brightly. And this enjoyment is a free and unmerited gift makes it shine more brightly still. But the price Jesus paid for the gift and the unmerited freedom of the gift are not the gift. The gift is Christ himself as the glorious image of God- seen and savored with everlasting joy."

Every time I read that passage, I just go "WOW!" For me it is like every time I read Colossians 1:15-20, the supremacy of Christ. I understand it, yet I don't.

I hope you are encouraged by this and also humbled by the love of God.

Blessings!

1 comment:

John said...

God is not the icing on the cake...He IS the cake!