Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Who Are You?



One of my very first jobs was in a Mexican food restaurant as a busboy. I was 14 years old. The owner of the restaurant was a deacon, church treasurer, and song leader. (It was a small church.) He gave me a job, because my dad was the pastor. Abram was larger than life. He was funny and very spiritual at church. He was a great family man and was a successful businessman. I was very impressed by this man, until…

On my first full day at the restaurant, I got to see the other side of the man. He was a total different person. I quickly saw that everyone at the restaurant hated and feared him. He would go off on the employees. He treated the kitchen staff, all here illegally, like dogs. He would work them 7 days a week, 12-14 hours a day.

Whenever someone from the church came in as a patron, he was again the fun-loving, good Christian man. He continued this double personality for a good while. Soon, others in the church slowly started to see the real man. You see, he couldn’t keep up that façade forever.

I was reminded of that man as I spoke with a friend and he had had a boss just like that. It begs to ask the question, “Who are you?” You can come to church and play the part on Sundays, but what are they saying about you at work? That’s where the real you comes out. You will spend 40 to 60 hours a week at work. Did you know that your coworkers know you better than anyone else does?

We are to be the example to the world. We are to continue to be Christ to our coworkers. The apostle Paul tells us, Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans12:1-2.

This means all of us, whether you are just an employee or the boss. The world is watching you and they want to see if you will walk the walk, not just talk the talk. My prayer for you today is you will reflect Christ at work today. Remember you cannot do it on your own. Ask the Holy Spirit for strength and direction. Stay in His Word.

Blessings!

2 comments:

Steve said...

Great word Ed! It rally petains to me and others at work. Others ar ewatching how we respond to our situation.

Thanks Ed!

Steve

Anonymous said...

Good lesson for us all.Speaking of bad bosses, No soup for you! Next!