Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Well today is January 15, 2009, which means we are half way thru the month. If you are anything like me, I started mentally writing my New Year’s resolutions back around Thanksgiving. On top of my list was to lose weight. That was going to be by eating better and going to the gym five days a week. I also was going to spend more time in Bible study. I was going to do more things around the house on my “honey-do list”.

Can I confess to you? It will do me a lot good. I’ve been to the gym only three times. I am eating less, but not less enough. My Bible study time is very mediocre. I have not accomplished anything on my honey-do list. I do have one thing I want to say, I was out of town all last week.

All that said, if I fell into the trap I have fallen into in the past, I would be very discouraged. That is exactly what Satan wants me to do. He wants me to just give up. He’s wants me to call myself all kinds of names like: failure, loser, inconsiderate, weak, and many other nasty names.

Fortunately, we serve a graceful and merciful God. He accepts us just as we are. If we are honest with ourselves, we will understand that we will always be failures. I don’t have enough space on this blog to list all my shortcomings. That’s exactly why we need a Savior. If you are a Christian, you need a Savior even more.

I know that under my own power, I am, well, powerless.

I need to lean on Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit that much more. Even the spiritual giant, the Apostle Paul, said, “I know that my selfish desires won't let me do anything that is good. Even when I want to do right, I cannot. Instead of doing what I know is right, I do wrong. And so, if I don't do what I know is right, I am no longer the one doing these evil things. The sin that lives in me is what does them. (Romans 7:18-20)

Again, I want to emphasis to you that we are not in this Christian journey alone. We need all types of help. We need to ask for strength from the Holy Spirit and we need to ask others that are close to us, to keep us accountable.

I promise I will start going to the gym, eating better, spend more time in Bible study, and work on my honey-do list- Tomorrow.

Blessings!

No comments: